Thursday, October 09, 2014

Website of the Week


Many of us have used the site WebMD.com to learn about our own illnesses and health-related concerns. Often I have used the interactive ‘symptom checker’ to try to self-diagnose medical conditions, or at least get a better idea of what might be ‘wrong’ with me, before talking to my doctor.

So I was delighted to learn that there is a similar website, PetMD.com, for our pets, complete with the interactive symptom-checker! Owned by Pet360, Inc., it is has several veterinarians on staff, whose credentials and expertise are summarized on the site. Complete with a library of 10,000 articles and resources on pet related topics, you can also ‘ask the vet’ a question. If you sign up for the free mypetmd.com, you can get alerts for pet food recalls, and other information tailored to your interests.

One of the fun sections I discovered recently is place reached via the tab Breeds, where breeds of cats are listed, with descriptions of personality traits, and photos submitted by site users. I looked up the Russian Blue cat breed and was astonished to see that their personality description fit my Theo to a T!

So whether you are looking for general pet care information, specifics about a particular pet illness or pet breed, or want to cruise the site for current news and tidbits about pets, I heartily suggest you visit http://PetMD.com!

Review by Ann Willard, SWC Librarian

No comments:

Post a Comment