Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Website of the Week

SOS Math - http://www.sosmath.com
Review by Rachael Smithey, SWC Library Faculty

I LOVE math! However, my last formal math class (Calculus at Southwestern College) was over 30 years ago, so I find myself reviewing math topics to see what I remember...and what I don't remember.

What I do remember is how invaluable it is to consult different sources and explanations when I don't understand a concept. In speaking with math students who visit Southwestern College Library (especially the ones I have worked with at HEC SY and HEC NC), we discuss how essential it is to read different explanations of concepts that are difficult to grasp. Sooner or later, one explanation or example will suddenly make sense.

I find S.O.S. Math to be a helpful supplement in reviewing math concepts of various levels. S.O.S. Math, founded in the early days of the Internet by three mathematics professors, provides review materials for Algebra, Trigonometry, Calculus, Differential Equations, Complex Variables and Matrix Algebra. The Mathematical Tables section provides an extensive list of formulas and tables, ranging from multiplication tables (which I thankfully remember) to definite integrals with rational and irrational expressions (of which my knowledge has faded). My favorite table is "Math for the Toolbox: SAE to Metric Conversion" as I was happy to learn that the 3/4in wrench in my motorcycle tool kit is "close enough" to a 19mm.

After you've reviewed one of the math topics listed above, including the sample problems with explanations, you can try out the problem sets. Click on Answer to check your results.

The CyberExam section offers interactive quizzes to practice what you're learned. If you solve the problem correctly, you can move on to the next problem. If you solve the problem incorrectly, you can try again.

The CyberBoard section provides an active discussion forum to post your math questions and receive helpful solution hints. I find it quite fascinating to read some of the math questions and *attempt* to solve them!

Have a question? Ask a Librarian!

No comments:

Post a Comment