Thursday, April 12, 2012

Essay Contest Winner

This year's prompt for the Friends of the Library essay contest was based on the College Book for 2012, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot.

"Should Henrietta’s family be financially compensated for the HeLa cells? Why or why not? If yes, who do you believe the money should come from?"

The winning essay was submitted by Natosha Scott, who wrote about her grandmother's death and the decision, which Natosha didn't understand as a teenager, to give her body to science. Natosha asked, "Where would I visit her body to mourn, honor and bring flowers to the only person in this world who every really loved me? . . . I spent a great deal of time meditating on Henrietta Lacks and thanking her for her most awesome gift to the world. I came to truly believe within my heart that Henrietta, like my granny would have wanted to help the world in any way she could . . .”

Natosha received an IPad 3 as her prize. Congratulations!

Thanks to all who submitted essays and to the judges and the contest coordinators.

No comments:

Post a Comment